Today I spent a little time surfing to try and find some more photographs of Santiago Calatrava's projects. I have been thinking about his work almost daily since Helen gave me a book on his works for Christmas. Calatrava's work is centred around connecting people and places. His forms are derived from humble explorations into human form. So simple and yet powerful. While surfing I stumbled across an interesting thread on SkyscraperPage Forum called
utilitarian buildings designed by famous architects. I have always been interested in utilitarian structures, factories, bridges, infrastructure, etc. It took a little more searching to find the source of the final three images; a water treatment plant on San Erasmo Island near Vennice, Italy. I love the care and simplicity of the architecture surrounding what is essentially a hub of infrastructure. Not only has the exterior been carefully crafted but the services themselves have a stunning regimented order.
Images from top:
Montjuic Communications Tower in Barcelona, Spain by Santiago Calatrava
NOAA Satelite Operations Facility in Maryland, USA by Morphosis
Seaholm Power Plant in Austin, USA by Design Collective Architects Inc.
Water Treatment Plant near Venice, Italy by C&S Associati
Image sources:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=170818
http://design.fr/architecture/water-filtration-plant-cs-associati/
No comments:
Post a Comment