Sunday, September 26, 2010

West End Community Gardens







I finally managed to buy a Bokashi starter kit this weekend.  It allows for the breakdown of organic kitchen scraps through an anaerobic fermentation process within an airtight odourless bin. It allows the highly nutritious moisture to be drained out for fertilising plants and the solid material to be added to soil for rapid decomposition and soil conditioning. I am probably going to give away the end mixture to a community garden as I suspect we just don't have enough capacity on our balcony to absorb all the material.  It at least allows for us as city apartment dwellers to make use of the organic material that would otherwise go into landfill not having the opportunity to have a garden with composting capacity.

I came across this community garden in West End last Sunday brimming with fresh produce and open to the public for anyone to wander through.  I love community gardens and find them very inspiring and motivating not least for the surprise of finding them always nestled in between under-utilised spaces within our urban landscape.  There is always a palpable sense of community spirit and endeavour.  I am hoping to eventually join one closer to the CBD and am on the hunt.  However, I must admit I am a bit apprehensive of discovering I may have a brown thumb after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment