Sunday, May 15, 2011

Market Flowers & Penan Baskets





The Powerhouse markets were on yesterday but we only just managed to get there before the stalls started to pack up at midday.  I arrived back from my monthly work stint in Adelaide at midnight on Friday so I slept past my usual up-and-at-it time.  Saturday was a glorious day in Brisbane and after we picked up all the fruit, vegies and flowers we needed I convinced James I needed to quickly dash in to Black + Spiro to check out their annual much anticipated sale.  Obviously 12.30pm was after the fact as the place was almost completely emptied with SOLD stickers on practically everything.  I was happy with my market flowers anyway. The pressed glass goblets in the photo I picked up from a Paddington thrift store last Saturday for a couple of dollars each... my thrifting for the week!

I finally got around to hanging up the Penan rattan baskets Angela gave me from her trip to the jungle villages in Borneo.  They are so very beautifully made, all naturally dyed and hand woven.  I love them too much to use them for anything but display!  The Penan use them for carrying everyday items and for gathering food from the jungle.  We had a look at the possibility of setting up a fair trade scheme to import these baskets for sale in Brisbane but it looks like it's not going to be the simplest thing. I think they would definitely sell very well seeing they are just lovely...

2 comments:

  1. That is a huge bunch of flowers. I love your baskets and I think they look perfect how you have displayed them. cheers Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katherine :) I think the flowers look like they are in an enormous bunch due to the angle I took the photo from! The ginger jar is actually quite large and the bunch isn't as disproportionate as it looks here :) I didn't notice until you mentioned it but I see what you mean!

    ReplyDelete