Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Time for Reading



Last night I finished reading Paul Johnson's biography Churchill which I thoroughly enjoyed.  While a short read it really does capture the liveliness of the man and has made me want to learn more.  I picked up this book at Changi Airport having just finished Perfume, my travel companion through France. Helen gave me Tender is the Night as part of my Christmas present which I enjoyed but found rather sad.  Much in the same way as I felt having read The Great Gatsby I suppose.  But all have been well worth the ride.  I do feel a little sad to have parted with the characters I met in these books.  My old boss travelled a lot and almost always had a book with him.  He once said to me that books are a friend you take on your journey.  Now I look to find a new one.

3 comments:

  1. Hi James and Helen,
    Your blog is so lovely! You can never post enough of France from my perspective but all the things you chose to do, the markets, the cafes, the houses, the flowers, the macaroons... are tres chic! Keep up the good work,
    Vickixx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh thats the one I recommended isn't it? I really enjoyed it although yes, it was sad in many ways. I also always associate it with the Jackson Browne song of the same name. You may like it :) Ang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind comments Vicki, we are so glad you enjoy popping past, hope you have been well :)

    Yes indeed Ang! I took your hint and bought James the Fitzgerald work! I am yet to read it myself :)

    ReplyDelete