Thursday, June 30, 2011

Lemons & Lisianthus







One thing that's good about all this chilly weather is the fact that cut flowers seem to last so much longer.  We still have the pale yellow Lisies from three weeks ago thanks also to regular trims and changes of water.  James' mum has a fruit laden lemon tree in her yard at the moment and we've benefited by being given an enormous number of lemons!  I had my parents, sister and brother over for Sunday lunch last weekend so I decided to bake snapper with lemon and basil pesto served with roast root vegetables.  We had a couple of snapper portions remaining so on Tuesday night I went with a favourite Chinese dish of steamed fish with ginger and spring onion pesto and soy dressing served with jasmine rice. Two different pestos, baked and steamed, two delicious and very satisfying meals! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Helen,

    It's always so calming to look at your perfectly set table. The fish, lemon, flowers all set a mood. You must put a lot of thought into your menus, I've never thought of making spring onion pesto...what a fabulous idea, I make the basil when it's growing and like to add a handful of rocket but will experiment with the spring onions.
    Maybe you might try out for Masterchef next season?
    Enjoy your weekend, hope it's not too wet,
    Vickixx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vicki, ginger and spring onion pesto is an absolute favourite in Chinese cooking! It is served with a number of steamed dishes including poached chicken, steamed oysters, stir fried with fresh prawns etc. It's very yummy and if you're a ginger fan you will love it! Just finely grate fresh ginger and sliced the spring onions finely to proportions suiting your taste, mix together in a small bowl, season generously with seasalt, stir in some peanut oil and that's it!

    ReplyDelete